Revised August 18, 2014
Online Privacy Statement
Alliance United Insurance Company and affiliates value your privacy. This Online Privacy Statement will inform you about how we use and disclose information that we and our service providers collect from your visits to www.allianceunited.com and other websites owned or operated by us (the “Websites”), through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”), through use of social media pages that we control (“Social Media Pages”), and through email messages that we send to you (collectively, including the Websites, the Apps, and our Social Media Pages, the “Services”).
This Online Privacy Statement only applies to information collected through the Services. If you have purchased or applied for an insurance product from us, please also see our Privacy Statement for Individual Personal Insurance Consumers, which applies to the information that we collect about policyholders and applicants, through the Services as well as any other medium.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual. Personal Information may in certain circumstances include such information as name, address, phone number, email address, social security number, driver’s license number, credit or debit card number, policy or claim information and health information. If you apply for a job or register with our career center, Personal Information may, in certain circumstances, also include information about your work, educational history, and credit history.
If you submit any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Online Privacy Statement.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- To provide a quote, underwrite and rate policies, respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests, and complete your transactions.
- To process claims.
- To service your insurance.
- To confirm or correct what we know about you.
- To help us prevent fraud and other crimes.
- To comply with applicable laws.
- To perform research or send you surveys.
- To send you information that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on the Services.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- To allow you to send messages to a friend through the Services. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s name and email address.
- To inform you of job opportunities and to evaluate your suitability for a job.
- To contact you at a telephone number you provide to us, including if the number is for a cell phone or other wireless device. We may contact you in person, by recorded message, by the use of automated dialing equipment, by text (SMS) message, or by any other means of communication your device is capable of receiving, as allowed by law and for reasonable business purposes, including to service your policy with us.
- For our business purposes.
- As otherwise allowed by law.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- Within the Alliance United affiliates.
- To third parties to help us manage or service our business. These third parties can include but are not limited to agents or brokers, other insurance companies, regulators, administrators, and service providers that provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, underwriting, processing payments, adjusting claims including your insurance broker, information technology and related infrastructure provision, email delivery and other services.
- To insurance support organizations and consumer reporting agencies. Information that we share with these organizations, such as your claims history, may be retained by them and disclosed to others.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to users of the Services and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Services.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; (g) to detect and prevent fraud; and (h) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- As otherwise allowed by law
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- Physical location
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (such as Windows or Apple), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the Services (such as an App) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Through your use of the App: When you download and use an App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences, and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Services, as well as for online tracking purposes. We can recognize your computer to assist your use of the Services. We also gather statistical information about the usage of the Services in order to continually improve the design and functionality, understand how the Services are used, and to assist us with resolving questions regarding the Services.
However, if you do not accept these cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Services. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer and you may need to log in every time you visit the applicable Services.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Services, helping diagnose server problems, identifying the general location of the device, and administering the Services.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you choose to deny such uses and/or sharing, we may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- From you: Information such as your location, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services.
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it as described in “How We May Collect Other Information” section above, as well as for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
Third Party Services
This Online Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Services link. The inclusion of a link on the Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage, and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Personal Information you disclose through or in connection with the Apps or our Social Media Pages.
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Services.
Maintenance of the Services
The Services are maintained by us in the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
Safeguarding Personal Information
Alliance United Insurance Company
Consumer Affairs Department
9121 Oakdale Ave. Suite 201
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Social Security Protection Policy Statement
Alliance United seeks to protect the confidentiality of social security numbers (SSNs) by maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards. We limit access to SSNs to help protect against their loss, misuse or unlawful disclosure. We do not disclose SSNs to third parties except where required or permitted by law.
Updates to this Online Privacy Statement
We may change this Online Privacy Statement at any time. Please take a look at the “Revised” legend at the top of this page to see the date of the last revision. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Online Privacy Statement on the Services. Your use of the Services following these changes means that you accept the revised Online Privacy Statement.
Privacy Statement of Individual Personal Insurance Consumers
Alliance United Insurance Company respects your right to privacy. We protect all personal data obtained in the course of doing business with you. We have physical, electronic, and procedural measures in place that comply with legal standards to protect your personal data. The only employees who have access to personal data are those who must have it to serve you. This notice explains how we collect and use your personal data.
Personal Data We Collect
Personal Data includes any identifying information about a consumer, such as:
- Name, residence address, e-mail address, phone number. By giving us your telephone number, you consent to being contacted at that number, including if the number is for a cell phone or other wireless devise. We may contact you in person, by recorded message, by the use of automated dialing equipment, by text (SMS) messages, or by any other means of communication your device is capable of receiving, as allowed by law and for reasonable business purposes including to service you policy with us
- Age, marital status, occupation, social security number
- Driving record and claim history for you and any driver in your household
- Medical information, such as from an accident report
- Car make and model, license number, lender or lease agent
- Policy payment history
We collect personal data from a variety of sources, such as:
- From you in person, by phone, or over the internet
- From others, including your broker and insurance data banks when we investigate claims or verify accident history
- From forms you submit to us, such as applications, claims, or policy updates
- From your transactions with us, our affiliates, or others such as claims or policy updates
- From a consumer reporting agency, such as a Motor Vehicle Report to verify driving record, auto title, or license status for each driver in your household
How We Use and Disclose Personal Data
We do not sell personal data or customer lists to anyone. We only disclose data about you as allowed or required by law. In those instances, we may disclose personal data without your prior consent. Our disclosures, may include any personal data that is necessary to help others provide an insurance service on our behalf, or to satisfy a lawful request.
We may disclose personal data we collect to:
- Consumer reporting agencies for the purposes of obtaining a loss report or a Motor Vehicle Report in order to determine eligibility for coverage or to process your requested transaction
- Service providers that assist us in underwriting, processing payments, or adjusting claims including your insurance broker
- Medical-care facilities or providers in order to process your claim and verify coverage
- Law enforcement or other government agency as required by law or to prevent fraud
- Research organizations to conduct studies regarding claims results and insurance practices provided that no individual is identified in any study or report
- Insurance and financial companies affiliated with us, as identified below, for processing or marketing of our insurance related products or services
- Group policyholders for the purpose of reporting claims experience or for audit purposes
When we use Service Providers to help us with the services shown above, we make every effort to use Service Providers that agree to keep your data private and not use it for any other purpose. We do not share with or sell consumer data to third parties for marketing. We do not share credit information with anyone for marketing, or for any other reason. We only use medical information to process, evaluate, or defend claims. We do not share medical information without your prior consent.
We share personal data with insurance data banks that collect information about claim history, accident fault, and amounts paid. Insurance data banks may retain personal data and disclose it to other insurance companies and others legally entitled to see it.
A list of our affiliated companies is shown below. When we share personal data with affiliates it is only the minimum necessary to contact you about new products or special offers. The law allows us to share your data with our affiliates for marketing purposes. We send current customers a privacy notice each year. If we change our practices we will inform you promptly. We treat former customer data the same way as current customer data.
Your Rights to Review and Correct Personal Data
If you wish to review your personal data, please send a written response to:
Alliance United Privacy Coordinator
9121 Oakdale Ave. Suite 201
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Include your full name, address, and policy number(s). Let us know what kind of data you want to see. We may charge a small fee to collect and send the data to you.
If you see any mistakes, let us know and we will review it. If we agree, we will correct our files and send the correction to anyone that you ask who received the incorrect data from us in the past two years. If we disagree, you may file a short statement of dispute with us. Your statement will be included with any data we disclose in the future. We will also send the statement to anyone you ask who received your data from us in the past two years.
Companies Affiliated with Alliance United
Alliance United Insurance Services, LLC
For More Information
Alliance United Insurance Company
Consumer Affairs Department
9121 Oakdale Ave. Suite 201
Chatsworth, CA 91311